Friday, February 13, 2009

The way to their heart is through their stomach!

This is the heart they want....and make it into a sandwich please!!!

See this bread? Hard to tell in the picture but it's the same width as your 9 inch cake pan. But the yeast dough has risen much higher than your regular cake. The only specialty pan I have in my house (other than a bundt or springform) is this heart cake pan. Someone left it behind after a potluck...their loss is my gain!!!

K-man isn't into the fancy gifts (shirts, cologne, jewelry, etc). He is just happy with a card. When I've gotten him gifts in the past..."it's too much....I don't need anything...don't spend money on me"...etc. But more importantly....K-man always loves is my cooking and is most appreciative. So I thought....this year how about a food gift? He loves the simple stuff....the man food things. I stumbled upon a xeroxed recipe for a sandwich made from a bread loaf baked in one of those animated cake pans and assembled into a huge sandwich for a party....then I remembered my heart pan...hmmmmm. I know what to do for K-man.

Step One: Get a heart cake pan...or any cake pan pertinent. A football, a dog, cookie monster, whatever.
Step Two: Go to the grocery and get from the freezer section a package of frozen bread loaf dough. Get all or any of the other things that go into your sweethearts favorite sandwich.
Step Three: Bake your bread. I cut the dough in half lengthwise and place on heart halves (you can see the crease in the middle from that) you need to do this in order for it to rise evenly.
Step Four: After risen, brush with beaten egg. Cover with sesame seeds, poppy seeds, etc. I used Crazy Jane's mixed up salt. Bake @ 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Let Cool.
Step Five: Slice bread in half so you have now two hearts. A top and a bottom to your heart sandwich.
Step Six: Slather on your mayo or mustard and fill with all your sweetheart's favorite meat and cheeses.
Step Seven: Serve his favorite soda/beer and watch his light up when you offer him the platter with his GIANT heart sandwich as you say "HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!"


What did I end up making?

Although K-man loves everything I cook. Sometimes he misses the simplicity of his bachelor food or SAYS he wants the simple stuff for he doesn't want me to "work so hard in the kitchen". He has a hard time understanding that I LOVE cooking!!!


He said one day, "you know hunny, you don't have to always make such fancy stuff....I'd be happy with just a grilled cheese sandwich."

*Slice off the rounded top and crusty bottom to have two large heart shaped bread slices.



*Layer your sliced cheese.











*Then layer of bacon and another layer of cheese.











So here you go sweetheart...your grilled cheese sandwich. A special request fulfilled for my love who fulfills my life by making me feel special!!!

Luckily for me...this bread fits perfectly in my George Forman 360 grill!!






And if you are lucky...he will share with you....and K-man did.


No comments: