It's not about the recipe contents sometimes....but the techniques!
When I came upon this recipe I wasn't interested in what was IN it but what was ON it. (It was some barbecue dish) "How cool!" I thought. A main dish with built in breadsticks!!! I am so going to do this. So I began thinking....what main dish needs a some bread sticks on the side? A main dish that has a protein and plenty of veggies that a bread would compliment.
So my foodie friends...you reap the benefit of my brainstorm....
Sausage and Peppers with Breadsticks
1 pkg sausage of choice (I used chicken andouille)
1 large onion, chopped in large chunks
2 green peppers, chopped in chunks (one yellow would have been nice, but oh well, it's all I had.)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1-29 oz can of diced tomatoes (plain or italian style)
1 can bread sticks
about half a bag of shredded mozzarella
salt and pepper to taste
red pepper flakes
Italian seasoning for garnish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice and heat sausage through. If you are using raw sausage...remove casing, break up and brown. Drain grease if rendered a lot. The chicken sausage I used put out virtually nothing.
- Add onions, peppers, garlic and saute.
5. Cook for veggies to soften and for liquid to cook down.
6. Grease your 13X9 casserole dish (unless you are using the NEW non-stick glass bake ware!).
7. Place your sausage and peppers in baking dish when you feel it's pretty ready. Top with some shredded mozzarella.
8. Open your can of bread sticks and place on top in lattice form. The recipe I saw had twisted them as well for eye appeal but I was so absorbed in 'weaving' that I forgot to twist them. DRAT.
9. Sprinkle Italian seasoning on bread sticks and bake for 13-15 until breadsticks are brown. I think this would have looked nicer if I had brushed the breadsticks with beaten egg before I put on the seasoning. Sheesh...I must have been hungry!
K-man gave a two MMmmmm- Mmmm rating!