Thursday, February 5, 2009

Cookie Club!!




















Crispy, Chewy, Round, Yummy, Sugary, Gooey, Crunchy, Buttery, Square, Thursdays, 3 for $1, How many would you like?

One of the things I haven't told you about what we do after school is called Cookie Club. In a nutshell it's where the kids who can't be in my classes can still get some experiences in the kitchen. Many students are naive and think all we do is make cookies and stuff our faces afterward (insert Game Show Buzz here)....the kids learn about being professional and selling them as a bakery would. Since I don't want the club to be a drain on my monies that is alloted for my classes, the money we bring in from sales goes back into buying more supplies for the next week.

We do this all year, every Thursday, trying different flavors, making classics and then in March we just make lots of dough and freeze it until our big event called "Celebrate Gunston." We bake them fresh on the premises and sell them 3 for $1.00 to the huge crowd who come to visit. BUT this year we are going to try something different and bake them ahead of time, bake less and sell them in the cafeteria instead of my room. We are always trapped in my room, we can't mill around taking in all the fun, we are hidden from those unfamiliar with my location and often are overlooked from the huge Hall of Nations going on outside my door. So this year....we will see how the new approach goes...but for now, the cookie we sold today was:

Cinnamon Bun Cookies !





























I found three versions of this recipe. My being a rookie blogger and seeing so many of my fellow bloggers recipes, I was 'copy and paste happy' at first and I failed to add the site or author to this recipe. This one appealed to me and thought would work best. SO....my fellow foodies, if think this is your recipe...please comment below and/or give me the link of where I could possibly have found our recipe. I will make sure to give you the props you deserve!!!


Cinnamon Bun Cookies

1 1/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Filling

4 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp chopped pecans
2 tsp cinnamon

Beat the sugar and butter until creamy with an electric mixer. Add the egg and vanilla. In a separate bowl combine the flour baking soda and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Form into a ball, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.

Mix the filling ingredients in a small bowl.

Since the original recipe said that the dough would spread out too much when baking and the cinnamon roll spiral would be ‘en mass,’ after the dough was chilled, we rolled out the dough into a rectangle about 18X10.

Sprinkle the cinnamon mixture (with or without nuts) over the dough and press into the dough. Roll beginning with the long side. Roll tightly. Place the seam side down on plastic wrap, cover and refrigerate over night.

The next day cut into 1/2 inch slices and cook in a 350 degree oven for 9 minutes. Let them sit a minute on the hot pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool.

BTW: We made a quadruple batch....four logs to slice up....two with walnuts....two without....3 for $1.00.....


Cuz sometimes you feel like a nut.....

Sometimes you don't....

These were good but they taste just like our Snickerdoodles. Considering the labor intensity, the two days of refrigeration...I will stick to the snickdoodles....they are softer and chewier.




Gotta love it when the students call out "I wanna wash!"




cookieeyes
What is funnier than this picture? It was hilarious when she took away the cookies and her long eyelashes were full of cookies crumbs!!! LOL
(no student was harmed in this stunt)

FREE Candy: Enter here for a chance of getting free 5lb bag of candy!!!

No comments: