Friday, February 27, 2009

Classic Burger Restyled!

Mushroom Cheeseburger Bake


A classic cheeseburger filling baked in a simple press-in crust!

1 lb. lean ground beef (you can use turkey)
1 large onion, chopped
1 package mushrooms, sliced and sauteed (you could use ones from a can/jar)
1/2 c. ketchup
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1-1/2 cups baking mix PLUS 2 Tbsp for mix.
4-5 Tbsp. water
1 cup shredded cheese

Preheat oven 425 degrees. Grease a 2 qt. baking dish (I used my new 2 qt. non-stick glass dish, It was a dream, slid right out). Saute mushrooms, set aside. Cook ground beef and onions until beef is brown and onions tender. Stir in mushrooms, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and 2 Tbsp baking mix (I totally forgot about this); mix well and set aside.
Preparing crust: combine 1-1/2 baking mix with enough water to form soft dough. With fingertips dipped in baking mix, press dough into bottom and up sides of prepared baking dish.





Top with meat mixture. Bake 20 minutes. Take out from oven sprinkle with cheese and return to oven (can be turned off) to only melt cheese. Makes 6-8 servings.



Cook's Notes:
If you saw that I missed putting the extra 2 Tbsp of baking mix in my meat mixture. Not only did I not miss it...but I think the mixture needed to be a bit on the juicy side the crust being dry...overall I think it would have been too dry. It's not overly drippy and oozing with sauce down there.....What do you think?

This was one of those recipes I had stowed away in my recipe box that I got from a product I bought many years ago. It was a baking mix called "Recip-Ease." I googled it to see if they were making it still. I figured just because my store only carries Bisquick and Jiffy....doesn't mean it isn't being sold in other stores. But alas, I could not find it anywhere but the name only cross-referenced with some site Jamie Oliver has going...

K-man wanted me to tell you that this was "totally awesome" he also added and I quote him exactly: "This was just like bowling...totally up my alley" (LOL, I love him so....)

No comments: