Almond Joy Crinkles
1 (18.25 oz) box of Coconut Cake Mix (Duncan Hines)
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 eggs (I should have used 3-4 egg whites instead, to keep the WHITE of the cake mix, otherwise your batter turns yellow, oh well)
1 cup coconut (I pulsed this in the food chopper so I wouldn't get long shreds of coconut when you bite into the cookie)
1 cup toasted almonds (also pulsed in the food chopper for coarse pieces, not finely ground!)
Unsweetened cocoa (um, don't use the Special dark like I did, otherwise your cookies will look black! LOL)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir dry cake mix, oil, 3-4 egg WHITES, ground almonds and coarsely chopped coconut until dough forms.
- Shape in 1 inch balls and roll into cocoa.
- Bake for 12 minutes (this is longer than Dana's recipe only because the coconut makes this cookie very moist and chewy).
- Remove from pan after a minute or so and cool on wire racks!
I was thinking that I should have tested a few cookies first by rolling some in powdered sugar and cocoa and maybe just drizzling some chocolate like Gin did...but you know what? I really wanted the REVERSE effect of dark on the outside and light on the inside. Achieved. But I didn't have any regular unsweetened cocoa to see if they looked differently.
So look out next week for another version cake mix cookie...I won't tell you which flavor...I want you kept in suspense! Check back and see what I did!