Thursday, February 12, 2009

Unexpected Combination

Other than some almonds, can you see the bacon or corn flakes? Would you expect bacon in a cookie? I didn't when I saw this recipe awhile back. I stumbled upon it in my recipe box and thought it would be perfect for here!





Bacon Breakfast Cookies


1/2 lb bacon
1/2 c. butter (I used one of those 50/50 blends)
3/4 c. sugar (I used 1/4 c. sugar and 1/4 cup splenda since 1/4= 1/2 cup)
1 egg
1 c. flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
2 c. corn flakes or multi-grain
1/2 c. raisins (I did not use any at this time for I didn't have any in my pantry)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook bacon until very crisp, drain well and break into 1/2 inch pieces. Beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine flour and soda, stir into butter mixture. Stir bacon, flakes and raisins.

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Space 2 inches apart. Bake for 12 minutes(the original recipe called for 15-18 minutes but mine were cooked after 12-remember all ovens vary). Remove from oven cool on sheet- about 2 minutes, then remove to rack to finish cooling.























I expected more of a sweet and salty (like a good CC cookie) with the sweetness of the dough and saltiness of the bacon...but these cookies were really sweet. The second batch I tossed in some sliced almonds and then salted the tops of the cookies to add more saltiness. This made a huge difference. I've noticed that the cookies develop more bacon flavor over time. Next time I will have to try them with raisins.



K-man said these would be perfect for him to stick in his back shirt pockets when he is doing his biking!!

No comments: