Saturday, February 28, 2009

Squash Anyone?

I saw some lovely zucchini cakes on Life's Ambrosia. I saved the recipe for later use. But today my student's were making potato pancakes. To save time, after they peel them, they bring them to me and we put them in the food processor, then they take them to their kitchen in a towel and squeeze out the starchy potato water....So I am looking at my fruit bowl tonight and I see the spaghetti squash...potato pancakes....the zucchini cakes...hmmmmmmm, I wonder. Are you seeing where I am going now?

Yes, I substituted the zucchini from this recipe and used the spaghetti squash...it was AWESOME.

So here is what I did:

Spaghetti Squash Cakes
Adapted from Life’s Ambrosia.com

Makes: 8 cakes

1 spaghetti squash (mine weighed 2lbs 5oz. on my scale so get one of the smaller ones)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup panko bread crumbs
sprinkle of ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 clove garlic, minced
1 egg
1/4-1/2 tsp. salt
pepper to taste
1-2 tablespoons olive oil

1. Puncture the rind all over the spaghetti squash. Place in microwave 5-6 minutes per pound. So mine was in for about 12 minutes. Let cool in microwave for 5-10 minutes in microwave.
2. Slice squash in half, scoop out seeds and use fork to remove the 'spaghetti squash strings.'
3. Place squash on clean dishtowel. Gather up towel edges and squeeze squash over sink....I swear, it felt like over two cups of water. Even when I stopped squeezing I thought more could have been squeezed out. I ended up with a compressed ball o' squash about the size of a softball. Break up squash with fork in a bowl.
4. Add remaining 8 ingredients, except olive oil, and mix thoroughly. Using a heaping 1 oz. cookie scoop form the mixture into 8 patties.
5. Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Once heated, add patties and cook until golden brown. About 3-4 minutes per side. Serve.

These were great with a dollop of sour cream....Life's ambrosia suggested ranch dressing.

K-man was REALLY surprised how good these were!

1 comment:

Ginger said...

What the heck!!! These sound so unique and good!!