Monday, February 9, 2009

It's not all about stitchin' and stewin', ya know!

Your honor, exhibit A, proves that Family and Consumer Science classes reinforce what students learn in Math classes. This class is NOT "Housewifery 101" as many like to think...

Yes, FACS classes can crunch numbers. Barely, but I get them to try. I tell my students when they ask "why does Math matter? We aren't going to use it anymore after we graduate".....Here is my proof. (hey if they think they aren't going to use Math anymore....they might as well hand over all their money to me now....)

My 8th grade classes were learning to measure in class and before I started the recipe, I realized that the recipe made only 6 muffins. Well, we can't have that when 17 kids will be expecting a muffin afterward. Even if we doubled the recipe that was 12 and half a muffin still wouldn't be enough. So Ms MacK made a lesson out of it and let's quadruple it!!!

As an introduction before the demonstration, the blue writing was the original measurements. I made the students multiply everything by 4 and STILL I had to convert things like teaspoons into tablespoons and tablespoons into cups....What an undertaking!!! You have no idea how difficult this was! Basic addition or multiplication is one thing....OMG, fractions....they would just guess, they didn't care. (get cooking lady, they were thinking)

Anyhow.....So we got the measurements for 24 muffins. CHECK. The ingredients. CHECK. Oven preheated. CHECK. All the equipment out. CHECK. Audience ready to listen. CHECK.

I show them the four basic measuring tools, dry measuring cups, liquid measuring cups, measuring spoons and the spatula. I HAVE to do this demonstration, for all my students watch their parents 'eyeball method'....shaking the measuring cups....using their fingers to level....the food network has pre-measured prep bowls of food they dump in. Rachael Ray using her palm method....all these examples are too confusing. I have to show proper OLD SCHOOL methods....then explain....as they get older....they can measure with their palms (or sneakers for all I care) when are experienced cooks...LOL



I Want S'more Muffins
from Taste of Home

* 3 tablespoons butter, softened
* 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
* 4 teaspoons sugar
* 1 egg
* 1/3 cup sour cream
* 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs (I did not buy the premade stuff, I mashed my own and left it real chunky too)
* 1/4 teaspoon salt (it got left out inadvertently, we didn't miss it since it had plenty sodium from the leavenings)
* 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
* 3 tablespoons 2% milk
* 1/3 cup milk chocolate chips (we used regular semi-sweet)
* 6 tablespoons marshmallow creme

DIRECTIONS

In a small bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Stir in sour cream. Combine the flour, graham cracker crumbs, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips.
Coat six muffin cups with cooking spray; fill one-fourth full with batter. Spoon 1 tablespoon marshmallow creme into each muffin cup. Top with remaining batter.
Bake at 400° for 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm (a MUST).

Yield: 6 muffins

Teacher's Notes:
  • I can't tell from their pictures if they are using the Texas Sized Muffins to be making only six, but after quadrupling....we made 24 perfectly
  • Can I just say....these were AWESOME. Keep this recipe!!!
  • The muffins came out just like theirs did in the picture!!! I was sure that their marshmallows on top were some type of food styling trick so I got mini marshmallows to decorate the tops in case....NOPE, never used them. The marshmallow fluff burst out just like their pictures.
  • The marshmallows were slightly crunchy on top just like a roasted marshmallow....OH HAPPY DAY.
  • I can see why the recipe only makes 6 now. When they are hot out of the oven the warm creaminess of the chips, the gooey marshmallow with a crunchy top (just the right amount of 'burnt taste' to it....but after you put them cooled in your sealed container for later....the next day....it's just not the same! Good but not GREAT like they were yesterday. Just a warning.




As you can see, lip smacking good!!






BTW: I also make my students Read in classes too. I know, I know....how mean of me!

No comments: