Friday, January 2, 2009

The introduction of the K-man.

I am blessed to have love in my life. Anyone who knows me, has met who I am talking about. To keep the TMZ paparazzi from following him around from my new found celebrity...(bwahahahaha, yeah right....LOL) I will lovingly refer to him as the K-man. (if his name changes after this he must have had a problem with his studly moniker)

S00000, my foodie friends, have you had a similar conversation like this (minus the corn syrup perhaps)?*....

K-man- "Honey, do you have a whole bunch of new friends from your new food blog?" (he's thinking it's some chat site?)
JennyMac- (*giggling* writing my second post as we talk, mind you) "No honey, it's too early after only one post"

K-man- "What if you get all these new friends to talk to and you don't have time to talk to me anymore?"
JM- (in head saying..awwwww) "Well, I look at it this way, when you are playing Xbox or playing your guitar, I have something to do by keeping busy on my blog"

K-man- *Smirk* "I won't ever play that MUCH guitar." (hmm... me noticing the lack of mention of the days he plays Xbox for hours--heh)
JM- (WHACK! instant underlying message shot into brain) "Well sweetheart, anything new is sometimes time consuming... I have a whole new format of this blog page to get used to (compared to my school's web page which I've worked on for hours at home as well). I constantly change things or change back cuz I am still learning the ropes. As time goes on and the novelty wears down I will spending less time on my food blog.

K-man- "Ok honey, at least you know how to spell meat. (Adding humor to the situation by referring to this email picture he sent me.

*Please keep in mind, this was a silly conversation between the two of us. Very syrupy sweet, very typical for us....Many people would get a pain in their tooth if they were a fly on the wall listening to us. Each couple has their 'thing'...this is ours....sigh....love....

BUT the message was received....Significant Other has noticed the time spent on this new hobby.... Alot.... Concerned.....Must convey concern in our silly yet loving way.

Reality Check: I always say K-man was a cat in other life....this proves it. At times, Tricksy demands attention when I am transfixed on the computer and she is meowing non-stop...."mommy, pick me up...mommy rub me....mommy feed me"
Like Tricksy...K-man wants my attention at moments when I am in high concentration mode on the computer. Or I get short with him when the computer has 'pokey' moments and regrettably has asked me a question. Poor K-man (pouty lip sticks out) THAT is my cue to take a break!!!

So to assuage my sweetie and let's face it....Full tummy = Happy Man....

Here's my submission for today. I found this on my new foodie friends site The Homesteading Housewife. K-man LOVES hot dogs. He'd eat them everyday if that is all I cooked...with no complaint. He often throws one on the grill on days when we are already cooking steak or pork loin (go figure).
Mom keeps giving us hotdogs from the Amish grocery (they are piling up in the freezer) and this recipe fills the bill. Thanks HH!!!

Tonight's Menu: Sauteed Green Beans and

Corn Dog Dressing Bake


Ingredients

* 1 cup celery, chopped finely
* 1 large onion, chopped finely OR 1 heaping cup of sliced green onion
* 2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
* 2 pounds (2 packages) Hot Dogs.
* two 8.5 oz. packages Corn Bread Mix
* 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
* 2 eggs
* 1 1/2 cups milk
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 1 1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a skillet, combine celery, onions & butter. Saute for 5 minutes. Pour into a large bowl.
3. Cut the hot dogs into fourths lengthwise. Then cut each hot dog strip into 4 pieces.
4. Pour hot dog pieces into the same skillet you used for the celery/onion mixture, saute hot dog pieces for 5 min or until lightly browned.
5. Add the browned hot dog pieces into the celery/onion mixture bowl.
6. In another large bowl, combine; eggs, milk, sugar, sage, & pepper.
7. Add 1/2 of the hot dog /celery mixture & 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheddar cheese, into the milk mixture. Stir in the corn bread mix.
8. Spread the mixture into a 13x9 backing dish.
9. Top with the remaining half of the hot dog/celery mix. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over the top.
10. Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for approx 35 min, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
11. Enjoy!

POST SCRIPT:
Now I prepared the above and it did not turn out as I would have liked it. I made half the recipe for I didn't need a 13x9 amount and used a 9 inch square pan. HH said 400 degrees and perhaps my oven runs hotter but my bake turned out very dry. I also didn't use the box of Jiffy for I already had some corn meal mix at home. These things happen when you don't follow a recipe EXACTLY. So since I have leftover ham, I did it again. This time I used two more eggs and only one cup corn meal mix instead of 1-1/2 cups. (I wanted a more custardy bake). I baked it in 350 degree oven and checked it @ 30 minutes.
Mmmm, definitely better @ a lower temperature. I didn't make it EXACTLY like HH, but giving what I had on hand....it worked.

______________________________________________________


Speaking of Ham/Hotdogs....err well, um Cat on the Hot Sidewalk...

"Hey did someone throw a treat over there?"

No comments: