Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Closing the Biscuit Book

Happy Inauguration Day!!

" 'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free, 'Tis the gift to come down where you ought to be, And when we find ourselves in the place just right, 'Twill be in the valley of love and delight. When true simplicity is gain'd, To bow and to bend we shan't be asham'd, To turn, turn will be our delight, Till by turning, turning we come round right."

-Simple Gifts by Elder Joseph Brackett

What a beautiful song.....What a great day to be locked in at home and do some cooking of something simple, my last biscuit entries. There is NO WAY I would be out amongst those crowds in DC today. I am content with my most perfect view from my warm home. Thanks to our Superintendent for changing his mind at the last minute and giving the teachers the day off. Driving would have be insane....Thank you Dr. Smith (like you are reading this....lol)

ANYWAY...I was thinking what could I do for today....hmmmm....something red, white and blue? Nah, I don't have any blueberries left in my freezer. Then I remembered.... Gotta finish up my cans of biscuits!!! Even though K-man and I are trying to eat healthier until Spring....I told myself, no worries having this evil stuff around, I will just take it to school....those kids will eat anything!!!

So in honor of NOT going down to DC today....GOOF BALLS (lol)



Goof Balls

2 (10 count) packages refrigerator biscuits
20 chocolate candy kisses
2/3 - 3/4 cup miniature marshmallows
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Flatten biscuits with palm of hand.
3. Place one chocolate kiss and 3 or 4 marshmallows in the center of each biscuit.
4. Bring edges of biscuit up and around to enclose, pinch well to seal.
5. In small bowl combine sugar and cinnamon.
6. Roll each biscuit ball in sugar mixture to coat.
7. Place on ungreased baking sheet.
8. Bake at 350F for 15 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown.
5. Serve warm.

Your kids will love making this one!!!

______________________________________

"Bake-In" Oozy Bread
From the Rachael Ray show

Bacon (“Bake in” get it?) and maple syrup baked right in.


* 1 package bacon, chopped
* 1 8-ounce jar maple syrup
* 1 stick butter
* 1 package (8 biscuits) home-style buttermilk biscuits, preferred brand Pillsbury


Yields: 4 servings

Step 1
Preheat oven to 375°F.

Place a medium skillet over medium-high heat and add bacon. Cook until crisp, about 8-10 minutes and reserve.

Place a small saucepot over medium heat and add the maple syrup and the butter -- do not bring up to a boil. Cook until butter is melted, then turn the heat off and reserve.

Step 2
Butter or spray a 3x9 loaf pan. Pour a couple tablespoons of the maple/butter sauce in the bottom. Layer 3 of the biscuits in the bottom of the pan. Tear up one of the biscuits and fill in any open spaces with the pieces. Don't worry if any still remain, the ooze will fill those in.

Step 3
Sprinkle half of the reserved bacon onto of the biscuits and top with about a 1/2 cup of the butter/syrup mixture. Place the remaining biscuits on top, sprinkle the rest of the bacon over them and top with the remaining maple sauce.

Step 4
Transfer to oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove and immediately turn over onto a serving dish.








OMG....these were sticky, buttery, salty, ooey, goeey, crunchy....THUD.


LASTLY....


The reason for my whole ODE TO BISCUITS....
Me-mom's Biscuits. I didn't realize that I had two of her recipes when I went to my recipe box. I had a Buttermilk Biscuit and Master Biscuit Mix (below in her handwriting - which you can see is very difficult to read)

Me-mom's Buttermilk Biscuits

1 stick of butter
4 c. flour
2 T. baking powder
1 t. salt
2 T. sugar
1-1/2 c. buttermilk

Cut butter into sifted dry ingredients. Add liquid. Knead a few times. Roll out and cut into biscuits. Bake @ 450 for 10-12 minutes.

Master Biscuits

9 cups of flour
1/3 c. baking powder
1 T. salt
1 t. cream of tartar
1/4 c. sugar
2 cups shortening

Stir dry ingredients and sift 3 times. Cut in the shortening until it looks like cornmeal. Store and keep at room temperature. When making biscuits: use 3 cups mix, 2/3 c. milk. Bake @ 450 for 10 min.

Thank you Me-mom, I know I never was able to tell you how I appreciated your culinary influences on me when you were around. I hope they have internet access in heaven by now!!!

5 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

Hi Jenny- Just found your blog. I love the content. I like that the recipes are so accessible and I enjoy the ones you have for children as I have 4, and 8 evry other weekend. Always looking for cooking ideas for them. This is great!

Anonymous said...

Heart attack on a plate!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I just found ya through tastespotting. How lucky am I, YUM, biscuits! Love the one with bacon and maple syrup!
~ingrid

Anonymous said...

Heart Attack? Well don't eat the whole loaf!!! Based on the recipe I see...one slice is like two slices of bacon and two Tbsp. of butter. Isn't that a typical weekend breakfast?

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Wow all of these recipe look DELICIOUS! I love making donuts with refrigerator biscuits!

Thanks for the biscuit recipes too. I don't know what the problem was with ATK's biscuits. I guess the time was just way too long. :(