Saturday, August 1, 2009

Summer Bounty issues...

Did I tell you why I don't have zucchini this summer?

It's because I have cucumbers!

You ASSUME that when that little stake says 'zucchini' in the pot, it is. I know veggie plants mostly and when you buy your seedlings from the nursery at the beginning of spring....certain plants have similar leaves.

Zucchini and cucumber plant babies are pretty similar....

I also know enough about growing veggies that zucchini plants grow concentrically or from the middle and the cucumber grows out laterally in one long line. That stakes in it that said "Zucchini", I have the proof. I did not have success with my cucumbers last year (it grew crazy big along up my deck and produced not one cuke) so I purposefully grabbed a zucchini plant this year....Or so I thought.

As my little plant started to grow.....with a long lateral vine (and the lil curly grippers)....I said "oh crap, someone mixed up the tags and I have a FREAKING cucumber, NOT a zucchini. Dang it!

Well, I am happy to say....that cucumber plant doesn't disappoint...(see my future post on pickles! LOL) So I have to buy my zukes from the store or farmer's market this year....oh well. We also have tomatoes coming out of our ears.....so putting some zucchini and tomatoes together...

Zucchini and Tomato Bake


3 zucchini, sliced (the original recipe called for 6 zucchini but I felt that was too much)
1 cup chopped tomato, seeds and juice removed, pat dry
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup mayonnaise
1 small onion, diced
1 cup grated Romano cheese
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pkg. buttery round crackers, crushed
2 tablespoons butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray (I just lined mine with nonstick foil).
2. Place sliced zucchini in a large saucepan. Pour in enough water to cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Boil until barely tender, about 2 minutes. Drain and set aside. Seed and chop your tomatoes, drain off liquid and pat dry.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and mayonnaise until smooth. Stir in onion, cheese, and pepper. Fold in squash and tomatoes, then pour mixture into prepared baking pan.
4. Add melted butter to crushed crackers. Mix well. Sprinkle zucchini mixture with crushed crackers.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until middle of casserole is no longer moist, and springs back when gently pressed.


Right after it came out of the oven....I know this is for dinner...smells to good. I am having some now!


This was about an inch high. 6 zukes would have made this too thick I think.





Here's what I saw.....Zucchini was not watery still had some resistance, not mushy.









Here's my bite. Crispy buttery ritz crackers, tender zucchini, sweet tomato, creamy cheese filling (kinda like a quiche)









I went back for another piece. Ok, now my dinner is ruined. No wait. That was my dinner. Looking like hot dogs for K-man's dinner!








Enjoy!

1 comment:

Donna-FFW said...

I love the sound of this casserole. I am missing my garden this year..