Tuesday, August 4, 2009

I can eat my plate too!

In all honesty, I have never used tostada shells. Taco shells, yes. Tortillas of all size and flavors, zillions! I have seen them on the menu in the restaurants, never felt compelled. But it's all Cathy's fault that I succumbed. I saw here recipe and said "alright, I am going to do this"

Grilled up some chicken and some veggies, made a sauce and piled it on the tostada shells. They were awesome.

Grilled Chicken Tostadas with Cilantro sauce
inspired by Cathy of Noble Pig

Grilled Chicken Breasts, cut into chunks or torn into pieces
Grilled Vegetables (onions, pepper, tomatoes)
Sliced avocado
Prepared cilantro sauce (below)

Slather on a little olive oil, season with salt and pepper and grill your veggies along by your chicken. Remove off grill and cut into pieces, set aside.

While you are waiting for the chicken to finish make your sauce:

Cilantro Sauce

1 cup light sour cream
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp Chipotle chile powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp pepper
chopped cilantro to taste (I am not a huge fan of cilantro but it's growing on me....I suggest you add it lil by lil and taste until it is how you like it. Cilantro can be a bit overwhelming sometimes)

Mix in all your ingredients in a small bowl.


Chop all your fixins' Pile them onto your tostada shell. Top with chicken grill mixture with the cilantro sauce. Place an avocado slice on top.

Oh my, the smokey goodness. Chicken so tender, the soft veggies, onions with a slight crunch. The smooth avocado mingling with the cumin and cilantro sauce. I couldn't get over how the tostada stayed intact with every bite. Not like some taco shells that fall apart after one bite. Awesome. Thanks Cathy, for the inspiration!

Enjoy!

No comments: