Sunday, August 23, 2009

Bring on the crunch!


If you've figured me out yet, I love a good cookie on here. Unless I make a half batch or I've given some of them away; after a few days the cookies get hard and dry. You know a cookie tastes best in the first one, two days; then it's on it's decline. When I saw these beauties, I said...these would be perfect with coffee in the morning or with ice cream at night. Since they are supposed to be hard and crunchy....no worries about them changing after a few days.

Double Dark Chocolate Walnut Biscotti


-found on The Ginger Cook that she adapted from Gourmet, Dec 1994


Ingredients:


2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened

1 cup granulated sugar

2 large eggs 1 cup walnuts, chopped
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar


Directions: Preheat oven to 350°F. and butter and flour a large baking sheet.

In a bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl with an electric mixer beat together butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.

Add eggs and beat until combined well. Stir in flour mixture to form a stiff dough. Fold in/mush in with hands the walnuts and chocolate chips.


On prepared baking sheet with floured hands form dough into two slightly flattened logs, each 12 inches long and 2 inches wide, and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. (I forgot) Bake logs 35 minutes, or until slightly firm to the touch.


Cool biscotti on baking sheet 5 minutes. On a cutting board cut biscotti diagonally into 3/4-inch slices. Arrange biscotti, cut sides down, on baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Flip over the biscotti pieces and cook again for 10 minutes, until crispy. Cool biscotti on a rack.

Thanks Katherine, these ROCKED!

The great thing about these, is that K-man wasn't too keen on these....he likes his cookie soft and chewy (who doesn't?) but I didn't mind at all ! More for me! I love biscotti! Sorry K-man, next cookie will be soft and chewy just for you. Speaking of K-man, tune in tomorrow to see what special favorite of his I DID make for him!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Shelby said...

Looks great! I'm definitely going to try this one! I love biscotti and I love dark chocolate.

Katherine Martin said...

Jenny - thanks for giving these a try and me a shout out! I swear - this will now be my go-to biscotti recipe. They did beat Lester Graham from The Environment Report!!