Wednesday, August 12, 2009

More Berryliciousness!


I tell ya....I am really enjoying having a garden with my own veggies but more importantly; taking advantage of all those fresh seasonal fruits as much as possible!


One of our favorite fruits is the blueberry. I swear it get two pints each time I go to the store. I've also been putting them in the freezer as well.


Berry Oatmeal Bars
adapted from allrecipes.com

1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix (I had some Naturally Nora's Yellow cake mix, hers was a bit larger in size)
2 1/2 cups quick cooking oats (I used rolled oats, I like the chewiness)
3/4 cup margarine, melted
1 cup jam (I used strawberry preserves)
1 tablespoon water
1-2 cups fresh/frozen blueberries
1 cup finely chopped nuts (I used walnuts)

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch pan. I lined it with nonstick release foil!

2. In a large bowl, mix together oats, cake mix, and melted margarine so that it makes nice clumps and there is no dry mix left. Press 1/2 of the oats mixture evenly into the bottom the prepared pan.

3. In a separate bowl, mix jam/preserves with water, and spread over the crust. Sprinkle the blueberries over the preserves.

4. Mix the nuts with the remaining oat mixture and sprinkle evenly over the top.

3. Bake in the preheated oven for 18 to 23 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned. Cool before cutting into bars.


These were SUPER yummy! I am glad I added the nuts on top. Perfect dessert or snack! K-man eats two in one sitting! I like the compromise of the cake mix and adding some other fresh ingredients!

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

These sound super easy and definitely yummy.

Jennifer said...

WOW these look sooooo good!!!!!

I'm loving all of the fresh produce too!!

The Food Librarian said...

These are beautiful! They look like summer yum on a plate!