Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Wanna Quiche?


I've been into a new Culinary Mystery series by Joanne Fluke. So many new and fun recipes to try now. There was a Spinach Quiche recipe and there were a few things that made it different for me to want to try it....

So here are the steps to guide you and the recipe will follow:

I used a springform pan (this was a 10 inch but you can use any size but you may have to cook it longer, keep checking it). I used a prepared pie crust and brushed an egg yolk in it. Put it aside to dry while you prepare the rest.






Take your frozen spinach and put it in a clean dish towel and microwave it for 5 minutes. Squeeze out all the water. I always use a green towel for this!






Put you spinach in a bowl and add your salt, pepper and horseradish sauce. I also added some cayenne and nutmeg (often times recipes call for the nutmeg to be put on top)







Spread out your spinach/horseradish mixture on your prepared pie crust. I used my fingers to pull it apart in pieces. I didn't want any huge 'clumps'.





Sprinkle on your shredded Jarlsberg cheese.








I added some bacon.

Mix up your eggs and cream, pour it on top of your spinach mixture. Give it a little shake (sorry I don't have a pic of this...I was getting hungry)




and pop it in the oven @ 375 for 30-40 minutes until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.






Mmmmmm, a masterpiece!


Now where did I put my fork?

Spinach Quiche
adapted from Peach Cobbler Murder by Joanne Fluke

one prepared pie crust (or make your own if you have the patience)
1 beaten egg yolk (put the white aside for later)
10 oz pkg. frozen chopped spinach
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3 Tbsp. horseradish sauce
3/4 c. Jarlsberg cheese (or guyere or swiss)
4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
4 eggs
1-1/2 cups half and half (or light cream)
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp cayenne
1/8 tsp. nutmeg

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Beat the egg yolk in a glass with a fork. Brush the inside of the unbaked shell with the yolk. Set the shell aside to dry.

Cook and drain the spinach. Squeeze out as much water as you can and then blot with paper towel.

In a bowl, combine the spinach with salt, pepper and horseradish sauce. Spread it in the bottom of the pastry shell.

Sprinkle the top with the grated cheese and crumbled bacon.

Beat the 4 whole eggs and add the reserved white. Add the half and half, salt, nutmeg and cayenne. Mix well and pour on top of cheese/bacon.

Bake @ 375 for 30-40 minutes (depending on the size of your pie pan, quiche pan or springform). I cooked mine for 30 minutes checked it and the knife came clean after 6 extra minutes.

Let cool for 10 minutes to set and cut into wedges.

Breakfast, lunch, sidedish, entree...warm, room temperature or cold...anyway it's all good.


I have brought home leftovers from my quiche demo at school and made a few egg bakes at home for K-man several times. I THOUGHT K-man liked those....BUT I don't know if it was the horseradish (his favorite condiment) or what....he must have said 'this is really good' every other bite. Seriously after like his 4th time saying it....I was giggling saying to him....'geez, sweetheart you must REALLY like this version'. K-man then said...."can I take some of this to work tomorrow for breakfast?" LOL

4 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

This quiche sounds wonderful. I think the horseradish probably adds so much to it. Great flavors and your picture is incredible.

Leslie said...

oh this quiche looks divine!!!

Ginger said...

The horseradish is new to me and I LOVE IT!! I really love all your photos.... I see a second career coming your way!!

Robin said...

Wow I like the horsereadish in this, gives it some nice heat and zing!