Friday, April 17, 2009

I smell SMOKE!


Don't panic that's me! Err, rather my pork tenderloin! It's getting warmer out (not as warm as I'd like) and we love to use the grill! You can still get the smoked effects of your grilled meats with just a little preparation.

Smoked Pork Tenderloin

Where ever you purchase your charcoal you can get hickory wood chips in a small bag.



Take out a good handful and soak the chips in a bowl of water for about 1 hour.









You must use Heavy Duty foil so the chips won't burn up too easily.








Place the wet chip in the center. Grab the sides and fold a few times....







Flatten to a rectangle and fold the edges to get a smaller rectangle









Poke with holes with a knife....go ahead make a lot of holes. More holes = more smoke.








Remove grill and place over your coals. Here we have a gas grill and my woodchips are over the lava rocks that are above the gas flames.







Replace you grill (if you can find these disposable grill liners from Home Depot- get some...it saves having to clean the grill every time you cook on it. We love them!!!)






Get out your marinated meat. Shown here is my seasoned tenderloin that's been soaking in buttermilk (see my homage to buttermilk marination). I just used one of those packets of seasoning in my cabinet. This was a sweet and spicy blend.







If you cooking tenderloins, they usually come two to a package. If you don't truss them together, they will over cook on the ends.

This cut took about an hour on low heat. Underneath the smoke will permeate your meat. Look to the picture at the top of my post for the 'telltale' ring of pink around the edges



We cut this in half for pork tenderloins medallions to go with our sweet and spicy sweet pototoes (tomorrows post) and look for the post following the potatoes how we utilized the pork leftovers!


Great stuff I tell ya!!!


CLANG-CLANG-CLANG....that's me sounding the official opening of the grill bell!

2 comments:

Elyse said...

What a great trick! I love grilling out and I love that cedar flavor. So glad to know how to deal with cedar chips!!

Talita said...

Hmmm... I love food smoked! That pork looks really tasteful!