Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Recipe Resource!


Many years ago, one of my colleagues was reading a book called "Dying for Chocolate"...I wasn't interested in asking her to borrow it after she finished...because I never considered myself a mystery reader...eh.

Then for a FACS meeting, she was making something that looked yummy and I had asked her where she found the recipe...

FACS colleague: "In my book"
JennyMac: "Huh? What do you mean in your book?"
FACS: "My book 'Dying for Chocolate' has recipes in it. In fact, many recipes."
JM: "NO way! Um, can I read your book when you are done?"(after I flipped through the pages seeing many pages like this...


That was it. I became a mystery reader. I read her book....got all the other ones (about 4 paperbacks) then waited every few months for the hardbacks to come out. I became a die hard fan!

Here's the jist:


First, you need to start with Catering to Nobody, this is the first book in the series. Although, you can pick up any book and read it without a problem, but each book slightly unfolds more about the life of Goldy Schulz.
Yes, these books are mysteries....but Diane Mott Davidson created a whole new genre: Culinary Mysteries. Each book is a mini sequel. Characters come and go. Goldy is a caterer. She works from her home. Not only is her balance of being mom and caterer crazy enough to balance but her life becomes much like Angela Lansbury where Goldy seems to stumble upon these crime scenes or knows the people who are murdered. Sure enough between the events she cooks for Goldy seems to find the time to solve the crime as well. Of course, her husband who works for the Police Dept can't stand how she can't leave forensics up to the professionals! Seriously! if you are a series/mystery reader and a FOODIE....these books are TOTALLY UP YOUR GALLEY! (notice the pun intended?)

WOOHOO!....In providing a link to her first book...I saw that she has a new one coming out on April 7. Geez, her webmaster needs to be fired for nothing is on her site about any upcoming book! So start collecting your books to read over the summer! Perhaps we can find some fun recipes to share from her books!

Here is the order:

Catering to Nobody
Dying for Chocolate
The Cereal Murders
The Last Suppers
Killer Pancake
The Main Corpse
The Grilling Season
Prime Cut
Tough Cookie
Sticks and Scones
Chopping Spree
Double Shot
Dark Tort
Sweet Revenge
Fatally Flaky (releasing on April 7, 2009)

1 comment:

Ginger said...

I am not a mystery reader either, but those books sound good. Thanks for sharing. If I am home at all during the day, I am watching the news and it has gotten quite depressing!! I usually read nonfiction, but will try and find these at the book at store.