Sunday, March 15, 2009

Care to take a Dip in White Beans?


It isn't time for dinner, but you want a little sumpin' before dinner. Apples or carrots? Too boring. Chips and Dip? Maybe but that is alot of fat and/or calories. I've been loving these cannellini beans lately and searched what I could do with them for a dip. I remember seeing some Tuscan dips before. I wanted something more Italian rather than Mexican. I saw this on allrecipes.com and tweaked it so it worked for me....OMG....this was so yummy! Reminscent of hummus but tasting totally different. Try this...I think you will love it!

Tuscan White Bean Dip

loosely adapted from allrecipes.com

Ingredients:
1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro (I don't have any fresh herbs yet, so I used 1/2 tsp dried basil
1-1/2 cloves garlic, crushed or to taste
roughly 1 tsp. chopped onion
2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons olive oil
3/4 lemons, juiced (I used 1/2 lemon, for someone's review said it was too lemony)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
You have scaled this recipe's ingredients to yield a new amount (5). The directions below still refer to the original recipe yield (10). (yes, because I only had one can of cannellini beans!)

1. In a food processor, combine the cannellini beans, basil, garlic, olive oil and lemon juice. Process until smooth, or to your desired consistency. Taste, and season with salt and pepper.

Dipping Suggestions: I used no-salt blue corn chips. Lately, I've been liking that I can taste the dip instead of the burn of salt from our chips. This dip is very surprising! Can't wait until my herbs start flourishing this summer to try different flavors!

No comments: