Tuesday, May 19, 2009

How to keep them away...

I know I try to have my K-man eat healthier, that is only when I am cooking. But some days he goes back to his 'single man days' and hits the local fast food place to grab a quick breakfast before work...or his co-workers are getting something and if he isn't 'sent' with a breakfast from me....he caves. So weak...LOL

I found a recipe for sausage and cheese biscuits and with some egg added....so much better than those FF breakfast places. Lower fat, no trans fat and I know that there aren't any mystery chemicals in it that we can't pronounce!

Let me show you what I made for his breakfast this week! Shown are the pictorial steps, followed by the recipe....


Link sausage cut 1/2 inch, frozen cheese cubes and buttermilk...essential yummies!








I mixed all the dry stuff in the food processor, mixed in the 3 things from above and pressed into one big rectangle and cut into squares on parchment paper. These are brushed with egg wash.






Freshly baked....mmmmm. You know what was the best part here? I had to cut off all the melted cheese to make them look nice...OMG....fried cheese bits....so good. Drat K-man came checking in on me while I was doing this part....I had to share some...*harumpt*








Scramble up some eggs, season with salt and pepper and slowly cook in a pan. While the eggs are cooking...












Take your best squares and halve them. Use a sharp knife and use a sawing cut to ensure you don't dislodge those little pork bites! OMG, I wanted to butter these and eat one right there!






Cut your egg into 8 squares (or how ever many sammies you are making)...









Wrap them up for your sweetie! I asked K-man how he wanted them. Packs of two or singles...he said he wanted both depending how hungry he was that morning. LOL.

So here you go...4-5 days of breakfast for your man! What about the leftovers?



Those go to work with ME!!!!! I probably will just eat them 'as is' with my coffee. Ok...I broke down and ate one while I was snapping pix....*thud*

Egg, Sausage and Cheese Biscuit Sandwiches
adapted from Bakers Banter aka King Arthur Flour

2 cups cooked, sliced breakfast sausage links (1/2" pieces)
1 cup diced cheddar cheese
3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon Pizza Dough Flavor, optional (I used a Tbsp of grated Parm cheese and 1/2 tsp oregano and 1/4 tsp. garlic)
1/2 cup butter, cut in pats (I used 50/50 smart balance)
1 cup yogurt, buttermilk, or sour cream (I used non-fat buttermilk)

1) Preheat the oven to 425°F.

2) In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and Pizza Dough Flavor. Add the butter, cut in pats.

3) Work in the butter till the mixture is crumbly. (I used my food processor for this!)

4) Add the sausage and cheese, mixing to distribute. Add the yogurt, buttermilk, or sour cream.

5) Mix just till everything is evenly moistened.

6) Transfer the dough to a piece of parchment or a lightly floured work surface. Pat and roll it into an 8" x 10" rectangle about 3/4" thick.

7) Cut the dough into twenty 2" squares. (I only got 15 because I wanted them bigger!)

8) If you've been working on parchment, simply lift the parchment onto a baking sheet. Separate the scones so there's about 1" between them. If the scones aren't on parchment,, space them on a lightly greased baking sheet, leaving about 1" between them.

9) Bake the scones for 20 to 25 minutes, or until they're a medium- to deep-golden brown.

10) Remove the scones form the oven, and cool them on a rack briefly.

11) Scramble eggs and leave them to set....do not disturb them you want them to be once solid coat on bottom of pan. Let cool.

12) Split open biscuits and sandwich an egg square inside. Wrap up with plastic wrap for convenient breakfasts to go! Can be easily heated up in the microwave!

2 comments:

Elyse said...

Um, yum! I love biscuit and egg sandwiches--especially when you've baked sausage and cheese into the biscuit. How totally fabulous! Your hubby will never stray to the FF restaurants again with after a breakfast like this!

Ginger said...

You make the best stuff!! I love the concept of these. Breakfast on the run and good for you to boot!! I guess I will have to say it one more time. K-man is one lucky guy!!