Thursday, May 14, 2009

Berry Good Too/Two

As promised, this was the dessert for Mother's Day. Very light, thin, sweet and tart. So delicate everyone found room for this after dinner.

Have you rummaged around in a drawer and found a recipe you scribbled on a random piece of paper that you saw on TV? This is one of those! I tell ya though, I must have had to read this recipe over 5 times to figure out not only my recipe but the drawing I did of the crust construction. Look at my hiroglyphics!

Yes, those grease stains occurred in the making of this tart!




Here are the steps followed by the recipe:

1. Roll out your prepared puff pastry. Take a knife and cut out like a flower pattern. You can trace this on parchment first and cut it out and cut the pattern into the dough if you don't want to live on the EDGE like I did in 'winging' it. *Shrug* I was feeling courageous...
2. With the scraps. I took a biscuit cutter and cut out 'crescents to cover the 'petal' edges and to overlap to achieve more of a 'flower' look. Have beaten egg handy to attach the dough pieces and cover them as well. Yes, those are random scraps on the petals. I guess I was going for the 'stamen and pistal' look. LOL Cover everything with the egg wash before you go to the next step.

3. 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 cup sugar mixed and spread in the center. The recipe said 'was going to create a cream like layer and will prevent soggy crust (I said 'oh sure')

4. Arrange berries on top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. More details not in pictorial.

Puffy Fruit Tart

1 prepared puff pastry sheet (I used pepperidge farm)
Fruit of choice (preferrably ones that will give off juice)
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg beaten
karo syrup and water (or orange marmalade warmed with water)

This recipe had a ingredients for a pastry crust (Look below if you feel daring). I opted for the convenience since I was putting other "labor" into this.

1. Roll out unfolded thawed puff pastry. Free-cut a flower outline on the puff pastry dough or trace one on parchment. Use the remaining dough scraps to create semi circles or 'cresents' with a biscuit cutter.

2. Brush beaten egg onto the 'petal' edge and put the crescents onto the edge. Use up all the dough with overlapping petals. Brush each petal with egg wash to adhere. Cover center of crust with egg wash as well.

3. In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour and sugar. Place in the center of your puff pastry 'flower' and use a fork to gently spread.

4. Arrange your fruit of choice. I realize when choosing blueberries and raspberries, there would not be much juice rendered to make the 'cream' from the flour and sugar. Hence, the next step.

5. Mix 1/2-3/4 cup karo syrup warmed and thinned with water. Brush on fruit halfway through baking. Brush with syrup again after baking.

IT WORKS!

Be careful brushing on your glaze....Don't crush the berries!

I am sorry to NOT have taken a pic of the slice. These were super thin....so crunchy, so light and sweet. The cream totally worked....very thin sweet layer under the tart berries. I drizzled a little cream on each piece.

We had five people for dinner. Only one piece was left. I sent that home with Mom....afterall it was HER day!

1 comment:

Ginger said...

Could you get any more creative? Your students are so lucky to have you!!