Sunday, April 18, 2010

All Bran Tastemaker!

I remember watching my uncle eating Bran cereals for breakfast after his triple bypass. Poor guy I was thinking as I bit into my bacon. We only had Cracklin' Oatbran or Raisin Bran for cereals (no froot loops or cocoa pebbles for me growing up!) So bran wasn't always on my FAVE list. As I've gotten older and wiser, I know NOW bran is not my enemy and fiber is essential in our diet.

Lucky me, got sent some ALL-BRAN cereal samples from Kellogg's courtesy of Foodbuzz's Tastemaker Program.

I was sent All-Bran® Original, All-Bran® Bran Buds® and Complete® Wheat Bran Flakes. Kellogg's also sent a few recipe cards for me to try and a letter informing me that they do have a website with more recipes....yeah 400 of them. Is it really possible to have that many recipes to incorporate fiber into our diets? YUP!

I found at least 7 new recipes and printed them out since I have a plethora of bran cereal to use now! I found a Honey Muffin recipe but in true Lipsmack fashion....I had to tweak it.

Apple Honey Muffins
adapted from all-bran.com
Servings: 9 regular muffins, 6 texas size muffins

Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup All-Bran® Original
1/3 cup buttermilk or sour milk
1 egg
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup dried apples, chopped (the ones from Wal-mart are super soft)
For Sprinkling on top: extra All-Bran® Original and 2 Tbsp light brown sugar


Directions
1. Preheat oven @ 400°F

2.Stir together flour, baking powder, soda, salt and chopped apples. Set aside.

3. In medium mixing bowl, combine Kellogg's® All-Bran® cereal and buttermilk. Let stand about 2 minutes or until cereal softens. Add egg, honey and butter. Beat well. Add flour mixture, stirring only until combined. Portion evenly into 6 texas sized muffin cup that have been sprayed with non-stick spray or lined with muffin papers. Original recipe says it makes 9 regular.

4. Sprinkle with some more All-Bran® Original and some light brown sugar on top.

5. Bake at 400°F about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.


ALL-Bran's NOTE:

Variation: To make sour milk, stir 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice into 1 cup milk.

To substitute milk for buttermilk or sour milk, omit buttermilk or sour milk and use 2/3 cup milk, 1/4 cup honey, 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and omit baking soda.

Lipsmack Notes:
  • These were yummy! I am now thinking about making a berry one now. Will it have a filling? Hmmmm.

Come back soon for the Bran Bud Brownies!

Thank you Foodbuzz and Kellogg's....these were great to have and play around with! Love it!

Don't be hatin' on Bran anymore!

1 comment:

Shelby said...

I love bran muffins...I too got this tastemaker but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I'm hoping this week - it is on my list of things to do! :o)