Sunday, January 31, 2010

Give them a choice!

Usually on Friday or Saturday I make a little sweet for us or K-man to enjoy for the upcoming week. Sometimes I ask K-man beforehand what 'sweet' he'd be in the mood for. He requested orange sugar cookies and since I had been to store already, I replied: "Sorry hunny, no oranges in the house today....but I have lemons" His forced second choice was Lemon Bundt Cake.

Just after I poured the batter in the pan, I realized I had some frozen blueberries. I thought it would be nice to offer a choice if you wanted just plain lemon cake or blueberry lemon. So I pushed down some blueberries in only half of the cake with a fork before I baked it. Turned out great!

Lemon Lover's Pound Cake
adapted from allrecipes.com

1 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
3 cups sugar (I used 1/2 cup splenda for 1 cup of sugar to help reduce some calories)
6 eggs
5 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon lemon extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups sour cream (reduced fat worked nicely)
1 cup frozen blueberries (optional)

ICING:
1/4 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons butter, softened
2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel

Directions
  1. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in lemon juice, peel and extract. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Beat just until combined.
  2. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan. If you are going to add blueberries. Pour 1/3 batter in the greased pan and add some blueberries, push slightly with a fork. Do not mix them in the batter unless you want purple batter. Pour the next 1/3 and layer blueberries, don't push the blueberries to hard! Pour last layer of batter. This batter is dense enough that your berries won't sink!
  3. Bake at 350 degrees F for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
  4. For icing, in a small mixing bowl, beat the sour cream and butter until blended. Gradually add confectioners' sugar. Beat in lemon juice and peel. Drizzle over the cake. Store in the refrigerator.

Cook's Notes:

I realized that I didn't have enough of the powdered sugar when the cake was already in the oven. I had already had the other wet stuff measured out. As you see here it was thin.

If this happens to you don't let it discourage you. Put on your first drizzle (over a cooling rack), let it dry for a bit and drizzle on some more. Keep drizzling on the glaze until it's thick to your liking on top like this:


See? I wasn't going to let my thin glaze win! I kept drizzling and drizzling (drying in between) until it was thick enough for me!

I love the tartness of this glaze....yummy!





Now, you must make your choice....plain or with blueberries? I am waiting...


Enjoy,

2 comments:

Blasé said...

"choice" is always Good!

Unknown said...

i have tried many recipe for lemon pound cake..yours is the best one.....i just did the plain and it was delicious...moist and i love it...