Sunday, July 12, 2009

Got Dregs?

Huh, what?
You know, the dregs on the bottom of the bag of your favorite chip/cracker!


How could you not know what the 'dregs' are? Sheesh!

As I am finishing the last of my 'wholesale sized' bag of Stacy's Pita Chips, (it seemed to take forever, K-man doesn't really care for them as much as I do, he loves "Munchos" ick) all the big chips for dipping were gone. Of course, I could have tipped the bag and slid all those crumbs in my mouth (you know you do this when your bags of favorite chips are done, c'mon, admit it, LOL) but there were too many lil pieces it seemed THEN.... I got an idea.

Let's grind them up to make crumbs! I coated some chicken last week with it....yum (sorry, I didn't catch that on pix so I guess I will have to make it again) and since THAT was so good....let's top some squash!

Oh yeah baby! These were good! We've been grilling LOTS of zucchini lately and LOVE it. Unfortunately you can't get the brown to top without having to broil them in the oven for a bit.

Here's how it goes:

Gratin Topped Squash

Zucchini/Summer Squash, cut in half lengthwise
1 cup finely ground Stacy's Sea Salt Pita Chips
1/2 cup parmesan, grated (don't use that stuff from the green can please!)
1 Tbsp. olive oil or melted butter (your preference, I used O.O.)
Freshly cracked pepper (I used a mortal and pestal, grind yours finer than I did!)
1/2 tsp. Minced onion or onion powder

Cook your squash. Grill it, bake it, fry it...just get it cooked through as you like it. Just don't cook it too much until it's 'smooshy'. It would be difficult to handle for you.

Take your chip 'dregs' and process them in a food processor or just roll that rolling pin over the 'dregs' right in the bag. Place crumbs in bowl, add cheese, seasonings (I didn't add salt for I feel the chips/cheese provided enough saltiness). Mix

Add oil/butter and mix until incorporated. Top cooked squash and press lightly. Broil in oven until golden brown. This will not take LONG!

K-man doesn't know that I have a CUE from him when I know I've made a hit (Shhhhhh don't tell). As soon as a food I make hits his lips and he goes "Mmmmmmmmmm - this is GOOD!" Other times....he will munch along and throw out 'this is good hunny'.....(sorry, I can tell you are saying that to be appreciative that I made dinner, but thanks anyway). OR (this is funny) he will take a bite of everything on his plate and then he will eat up everything but his favorite....he will save the huge pile for LAST (such a boy at heart)

Very easy, try it. You will like this. I am going to make up a batch of these crumbs and keep them in the fridge so I can top stuff whenever I want!

What does your family do to clue you in that they REALLY love what you made? What other clues do they give you that they are just being nice? Tell me, I wanna know.

No comments: