Saturday, July 24, 2010

Orange Monkey Bread

I am a bread lovin' fool...sweet, savory... I've been making that no knead Artisan Bread in 5 minutes recipe every week (added below) and I love it. I used that dough instead of the canned biscuits shown here. I've done both....so use what is most convenient for you!

This is a great alternative from the cinnmon-y type monkey bread standard. I love the buttery orangey flavor...the crispy, crunchy outside yet spongy soft inside. Delish!


Orange Monkey Bread

1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tablespoon finely grated fresh orange zest
1/3 cup orange juice
1/4 cup melted butter
2 (10 ounce) cans refrigerated biscuit dough, separated and halved

1. Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 10-inch Bundt pan.
2. Toss the sugar and orange zest together in a small bowl. Whisk the orange juice and melted butter together in a separate small bowl.
3. Roll the biscuit dough pieces into balls. Dip each ball into the orange juice mixture and then roll in the sugar mixture. Arrange the coated balls evenly in the prepared pan. Pour the remaining orange juice mixture over the biscuits.
4. Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan for a few minutes before turning out onto a serving platter. Serve warm.

If you want the "make your own dough" adventure....this is really no fuss dough recipe...

1. In a large lidded container... mix

3 cups lukewarm water
1 1/2 Tbsp. granulated yeast
1 1/2 Tbsp. salt
1 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
6 1/2 cups flour

2. Let rise for 2 hours....I wait until it's doubled or gets flat on top. No biggie really.
3. Put in fridge for whatever/however you want to make from it....see the link to their site for ideas.
4. If you use this dough for the monkey bread, you have to let it rise until doubled then bake it. Its easier to do this before bed and put in the oven first thing when you wake up. Great weekend treat!

Here is what I've made with this GREAT dough so far:

Jalapeno Bread
Pepper Jack Rolls
Sticky Caramel Rolls (with or without bacon)

Honestly I have made at least 15 other things....but we ate them up too fast before I could get a picture....cloverleaf rolls, flat breads, pizza...it's so cool to always have dough in the fridge to get creative with! I will try to post more about my dough creations!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Serendipity is Sweet said...

This sounds yummy and different. I'll have to try it.
thanks!

Shelby said...

yummmm Monkey bread. Oh how I wish I could eat this and not feel guilty.