Monday, May 31, 2010

DUTCH, baby!!!

I've made Dutch Babies once in a blue moon....but LOOK at this one! Wow, I don't know if it was just the recipe or how the milk and eggs were at room temperature. But this was Monster. Similar to the popover and tastes pretty much the same....this is too easy to make. This recipe is a keeper. AND, made in a cake pan. I chose square today.


Monster Dutch Baby

2 large eggs (mine were extra large, double yolked farm fresh eggs)
1/2 cup whole milk (I used Fat Free evaporated milk)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
scant flavorings, cinnamon, etc optional
3 Tablespoons of butter

1. Place a cake pan in your oven. Then preheat your oven to 450° Fahrenheit. You know, screaming hot. I suggest using a oven thermometer always.

2. Using a wire whisk, blend your eggs, milk, flour, salt. Set aside.

3. When your oven is fully preheated and your cake pan hot, remove the cake pan from the oven. Put in 3 Tablespoons of butter and quickly swirl the pan so the butter does not brown or burn. When most of the butter is melted, pour in your Dutch Baby batter.

4. Place the pan bake in the hot oven and bake for 7 or 8 minutes. You may need an extra minute or two, depending on your oven. Watch the monster rise!

Serving suggestions:
  • Drizzle with maple syrup
  • squeeze of lemon juice and powdered sugar
  • smear favorite jam, preserves
  • slices of fresh fruit and whipped cream
  • sauteed mushrooms and freshly grated parmesan cheese.
K-man had his piece with orange marmalade, I chose this new jar of rhubarb and raspberry preserves. I needed nothing else. The salty butteriness the sour of the rhubarb and sweetness of the raspberry...I was in heaven. I ate 3 pieces. K-man got one. LOL

1 comment:

Annah said...

I am sitting here, starrrrving at the office and all these pictures, especially the one below, are making me so hungry. Everything looks delicious my Gah.