Plus- New Season of Fun with recipe exploration as a AllRecipes.com Ambassadors AllStar.
This month's Sponsor is with Mazola® Corn Oil
I have never made carnitas before. Eaten them plenty. When I saw the recipe said "pork shoulder" I remember seeing it in the store but I recall making barbecue with either ribs or butt portions. Our store did not have any out. I asked for a pound and they were happy to oblige. The cost of it was rather inexpensive too!
My husband and I are taking a new outlook on eating. I am currently doing NutriSystem to get my health back on track and my husband (who is a very athletic cyclist) is enjoying eating more vegetables because there are more now in the house instead of breads and cookies and cakes. Lucky for me my cholesterol level is under the radar but cooking more veggies with heart-healthy Mazola® Corn Oil can help. Click here for more recipes using Mazola!
Pork Carnitas with Cilantro Tomatillo Sauce
2. Add enough water to barely cover pork. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes. Remove lid and continue to simmer an additional 45 minutes or until liquid has evaporated.
3. Combine chopped tomatillos, tomatoes and cilantro in a small bowl.
4. Place an equal amount of pork on each tortilla. Top with tomatillo salsa.
1. I found the pork shoulder was marbled with plenty of fat. I think in the future I would cut off some of the fat to reduce the fat rendering. It was swimming in fat when it was done.
2. I find a lot of people do not like the flavor of cilantro. I admit, it took me a long time to appreciate it. I suggest chopping the leaves finely and add a little bit to develop it's taste. Making this without cilantro really would be a crime. Cilantro adds a lot of flavor....ease your way into it.
3. I personally added more onions and green peppers to AMP up the veggies content to make this more heart healthy.
I am an Allrecipes Allstar brand ambassador (a voluntary position) and I'm not compensated for my work with Allrecipes.com. Products received from the advertiser are only used for experienced-based reviews on Jenny Mac's LipSmack. The reviews, content, and opinions expressed in this blog are purely the sole opinions of JennyMac. To learn more about the Allrecipes Allstars program visit, Allrecipes Allstars.