Saturday, April 7, 2012

Looks like Oatmeal but is it?

We love cookies here and although K-man can eat whatever he wants, I am on the fun adventure of trying Paleo recipes.  Back in the day when I was using tons of splenda and other lowfat options....K-man always could tell.  He'd crinkle his nose after a bite and I'd end up having to all that I created or give it away.  With my new passion for finding tasty Paleo treats.  K-man is the standard...if he eats it and likes it then....WINNER!  I found these in my Primal Palate Cookbook. Tweaked a bit...they are awesome.

N'Oatmeal Cookies 
adapted from Food Lover's Kitchen (their new site)

2 cups almond flour (they used almond meal-makes the dough browner)
1/2 c. flax seed meal
1/2 unsweetened, shredded coconut (I toasted mine)
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup coconut oil (I used grapeseed oil)
1/2 honey or pure maple syrup (I did 50/50 ratio)
2 eggs
1 cup raisins
1 tsp cinnamon (they suggest 1 Tbsp.)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda

1.  Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2.  In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients.
3.  In a smaller bowl combine the eggs, honey, vanilla, extract, and oil with a hand mixer.
4.  Stir wet into dry ingredients
5.  Stir in raisins and seeds.
6.  On a parchment paper lined cookie sheet drop 1 Tbsp sized amount.  12 on a sheet will do. Slightly press each mound.
7.  Bake for 15 minutes.  Cool.

Cook's Notes:
-Remember the Paleolithic way of eating has NO GRAINS.  This is a fake out oatmeal cookie.  You are getting your fiber from the seeds and raisins.
-Parchment really works better here for they were harder to get off the silpat sheets.
-I would have used coconut oil but the current one I have in my cabinet smells and tastes of coconut.  I prefer the brand I used prior that was taste and coconut aroma free.  Sometimes I am in the mood for coconut flavor, sometimes not.  I didn't today.
-The difference between almond flour and meal is that the meal is brownish/beige and the brown almond skins are incorporated in it.  Almond flour uses blanched almonds where the skins are removed rendering a yellow/whitish flour.  No difference in taste or texture....


Enjoy!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

These sound great. I have been hearing so much about that diet lately.