Sunday, April 22, 2012

Gluten Free Biscuits

Along with my love for chocolate, I admit I also love breads.  Biscuits, rolls...hot and buttery....YUM!  So when I was told that going Paleo meant breads made with almond flour or coconut flour could be made, I felt I wouldn't die.  Of course when we go out to nice dinners I may splurge on the hot crusty yeast breads on occasion but at home I still can have some breads.  I am still find it difficult to render a tall rising bread for a sandwich but when I do....you'll be the first to know.  For know these little biscuits are nice and light and remind be of popovers.  Not too difficult to make either.

Basic Biscuits
from Paleo Comfort Foods

6 large egg whites (I use the carton of egg white sometimes as well)
3/4 cup blanched almond flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp organic butter or coconut oil

1.  In a bowl, beat the egg whites until they are very frothy.
2.  In a separate bowl, mix the flours and baking powder.  Cut in the cold butter with a two knives or a pastry blender.  You will be making a crumbly mixture.  Let sit in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
3.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
4.  Remove flour mixture from fridge and gently fold in the egg whites, stirring to combine.
5.  Spoon the biscuit batter in a greased muffin cups.
6.  Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 12.

Cook's Notes:
1.  These are very soft and fluffy.  They are not going to fall apart since they have egg in the them.
2.  These taste very much like popovers despite them not rising as tall.
3.  I have tried other biscuit recipes and there will be other versions to come.
4.  This batter will be 'soupy' at first.  Give it a moment for the coconut flour to absorb the liquid and it will be more manageable.
5.  Use a standard ice cream scoop to keep the biscuits consistently the same size.
6.  I don't know how these biscuits would work on a cookie sheet really....I think they would spread and be thinner.  The muffin cups hold the 'biscuit' shape nicely.
7.  Bits of Cheese and bacon was also suggested to mix in if you were splurging or allowing dairy in your Paleo life.  We use a little cheese now and then and since I had a Tbsp of some leftover organic shredded cheese, I used it up here.  It can be seen in the picture below.

Enjoy!
 

3 comments:

Juls said...

Oh how I hope you see this! Do you think I could sub gluten free AP flour for the almond flour and almond flour for the coconut flout?

Thanks! Can't wait to try these tomorrow night!

Juls said...

Oh and thanks for the great recipes!

Jenny Saunders said...

Hi Juls!!!
I view all recipes as a science experiment. I can't tell you how it will turn out because I don't use the GF AP flours. They have stuff I won't eat. Grains. LOL Almond flour is def. heavier but do try it and let me know. These made as I did it have a very "eggy" taste almost like a popover. Go for it!