Friday, June 5, 2009

Battle of the T's

Turnover or Tart?


You know....you have some apples hanging around that aren't being eaten. You see some puff pastry at the store....yeah....I'll use up those apples with that. Then you open the package. I hate how they put two pastry sheets in one package. Can't they put two separately wrapped sheets in one box? Well, I always feel compelled to use them both. It's like once you break the seal of the dough package....you think it will get freezer burn or my fear...that the leftover will fall into the dark recesses of the freezer and you won't get to use it for it will be ruined before you find it again....Do you torture yourself with these type of conversations in your head?

First I made some apple turnovers....

Apple Turnovers

2 apples sliced
1 sheet puff pastry
1/3 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten
cinnamon and sugar mixture (don't you have some in a little container in your cabinet?)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Unfold the puff pastry. I rolled out the dough a little more. Cut into 4 squares. You can cut the dough into smaller squares if you'd like. (I didn't want to be eating apple turnovers for weeks.)

Peel and slice the apples in a bowl and add the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Mix and put the apples in 4 portions in the center of the squares you cut. Brush edges of squares with egg. Fold and press. Repeat to all. Brush tops of triangles with remaining egg and sprinkle with some cinnamon sugar on tops.
Bake for 20 minutes.

While those were baking I assembled the apple tarts...


Apple Tarts

2 apples, cored and sliced
1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
1 egg, beaten (plenty leftover from the recipe before)
cinnamon and sugar mixture (have you put some in a little jar yet?)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Unfold puff pastry and roll out a bit to even out dough cut into halves. Put flour and sugar mixture down center of dough (just a stripe for the apples to lay on).

Slice the apple and arrange on sugar/flour mixture on the dough. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar mixture down the middle. Bake for 20 minutes.

Mmmmmm, breakfast and dessert for the weekend!

Guilty pleasure: I just love when sugar melts onto the parchment after baking. I take the baked good away and peel off the melted sugar. Sometimes it's crunchy or chewy.....mmmmmmm....all for me!

2 comments:

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Those look beautiful! I think Pioneer Woman had an apple tart like that too. Yummy!

Leslie said...

Yum yum yum..I made apple tarts months ago that I havenet posted about yet. Yep, I am a SLACKER!
Your comments on my blog are cracking me up girl! You always give me a good chuckle!