Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah or Happy Festivus! LOL. So, This month I choose two recipes from:
Three Cheese Tortellini with Chicken Broth
Recipe on Allrecipes.com sponsored and by Barilla
- 1 (12 ounce) package Barilla® Three Cheese Tortellini
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmigiano cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
Before I did this recipe I did read the reviews. Many commented on how bland it was. You cooked the tortellini in chicken broth. Threw in some parsley and parm. How jazzy can it taste with four ingredients? Here's what I did to bump it up...
1. I used the spinach and ricotta filled tortellini instead of the 3 cheese.
2. I used Chicken Stock instead of broth.
3. I tasted the finished product....ugh, bland.
3. I added 1/4 tsp garlic powder and 1/4 tsp. onion powder. Definitely better!
4. Add chopped BASIL instead of parsley. BANG. Delicious!
5. Shredded fresh parmesan cheese instead of the green canned parmesan......oooey gooey, melty cheese.
6. Served to K-man, he raved. He is normally making his own lunch from a canned soup when I am not around but when he ate this that I left behind, he was really impressed and wanted to know what new canned soup I discovered. Of course this wasn't canned...I made it, that is why it tasted so good.
7. If you follow this recipe as Barilla listed, please tweak it as I did.....who wants to go through the effort of making a soup for it to be bland? Always taste as you cook!
Tune in tomorrow for Gluten-Free Elbows with Mixed Mushrooms and Sausage Soup!