from Paleo Comfort Foods
6 large egg whites (I use the carton of egg white sometimes as well)
3/4 cup blanched almond flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp organic butter or coconut oil
1. In a bowl, beat the egg whites until they are very frothy.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the flours and baking powder. Cut in the cold butter with a two knives or a pastry blender. You will be making a crumbly mixture. Let sit in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
4. Remove flour mixture from fridge and gently fold in the egg whites, stirring to combine.
5. Spoon the biscuit batter in a greased muffin cups.
6. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
1. These are very soft and fluffy. They are not going to fall apart since they have egg in the them.
2. These taste very much like popovers despite them not rising as tall.
3. I have tried other biscuit recipes and there will be other versions to come.
4. This batter will be 'soupy' at first. Give it a moment for the coconut flour to absorb the liquid and it will be more manageable.
5. Use a standard ice cream scoop to keep the biscuits consistently the same size.
6. I don't know how these biscuits would work on a cookie sheet really....I think they would spread and be thinner. The muffin cups hold the 'biscuit' shape nicely.
7. Bits of Cheese and bacon was also suggested to mix in if you were splurging or allowing dairy in your Paleo life. We use a little cheese now and then and since I had a Tbsp of some leftover organic shredded cheese, I used it up here. It can be seen in the picture below.