Monday, November 30, 2009

Pudding or Bread, you decide....

Are you like me during Thanksgiving and HAVE to have something corn? Cornbread stuffing, corn pudding, succotash....something corn. Besides loving the taste of corn, perhaps it's something about the roots of Thanksgiving and the pilgrims learning the use of corn from the natives.....Nahhhhhh, I am not thinking THAT deep on T-day. I just love sweet yet buttery corn.

The springboard recipe I used was from Cooking Light and if you know me....I tweaked it. I am such a rebel.

Corn Pudding
adapted from Cooking Light's Colonial Corn Pudding
  • 3 cups frozen whole-kernel corn kernels, thawed and divided
  • 3/4 cup evaporated fat-free milk, divided
  • 2 tablespoons smart balance
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
  • Dash of freshly ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 egg substitute
  • half a box of jiffy corn muffin mix
  • Cooking spray
  • 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Fat Free cheddar cheese
  • 2 teaspoons butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. Combine 1 cup corn, 1/4 cup evaporated milk, and smart balance in a blender; process until smooth. Combine remaining 1/2 cup evaporated milk, salt, pepper, nutmeg, eggs in a large bowl. Stir in pureed corn mixture, remaining 2 cups corn, cheese and corn muffin mix.

3. Spoon mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

So yummy!!! It was nice to have the fat cut significantly in the pudding yet have a bit of butter on top to make the whole thing seem so rich! This is a 'do-again' recipe for sure!


3 comments:

Shelby said...

I love this dish and have made it several times. I'm thinking it will go on my Christmas menu!

Leslie said...

bread or pudding? hmmmmm..I am not sure. But it looks damn good!

Ginger said...

I am trying this.... It has to be better than my Mom's corn pudding which is good but has 2 sticks of butter in it!! How is the school year going? Do you have a good class this year?

Gin