Monday, October 5, 2009

I found the perfect CCC, I think.

My quest is over. I have tasted and baked many a chocolate chip cookie. Since they are my overall favorite, I am picky about them now.

I want a crispy edge yet thick and chewy on the inside.
Ok, I had found that in the past but only on the first and perhaps the second day and then the cookies would change over the next few days. They'd lose their chewiness for for being dried and out and harder. (yes, I stored them properly) I needed a CCC to last over the few days that it took for us to eat them and I didn't want a gadzillion of them either. Sometimes recipes aren't the same when you either double or half a recipe.


The Chewy CCC
(chocolate chip cookie)

adapted from the food network

Ingredients:
2 sticks unsalted butter
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups brown sugar (I used light for it's what I had on hand)
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (I used dark chips)
I added a cup of toasted walnuts
some mini or regular chips to decorate the tops

Hardware:
Ice cream scooper (#20 disher, to be exact)
Parchment paper Baking sheets
Mixer

Directions:
Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside. Pour the melted butter in the mixer's work bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg, yolk, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. Chill the dough, then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets, 6 cookies per sheet. Bake for 14 minutes or until golden brown, checking the cookies after 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

Some I left 'as is' when I scooped them. Others I dipped in a pile of mini chips to enhance their top. K-man and I really loved these. I think you should try them and see if I am right in thinking they are the BEST!

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Oh you..I think this one is called "The Chewy" from Alton Brown. I was looking at it in my binder today thinking I needed to make them. Now that you say they are oh sooo yummy..I will bake them up

ugottalovecarmen said...

these looks delicious! about how many cookies does this recipe make?

Jenny Saunders said...

Yup, this is called the Chewy from Alton Brown. Def a keeper! It makes roughly 2 dozen. Regular sized ice cream scoop makes pretty big and thick cookies.....so worth it!

Ginger said...

What else can I say but "YUMMY?" I know it not the most original comment but I think it covers those cookies!! Happy Sunday. I hope that your school year is going good??