Thursday, February 3, 2011

I have this problem....

I am either a rebel and can't follow the rules OR way too creative to respect a recipe 'as is'.

Hello, I am JennyMac and I am a rebel....

Perhaps my rebelliousness is due to the fact when I have it in my head, "I am going to make this recipe" I go to the kitchen I and I don't have EXACTLY everything the recipe calls for. The rebel in me says something like "I don't need no stinkin' 3 bananas....I can manage with only 2"

Banana Bread

I have made and eaten lots of banana bread. I don't like making banana bread for it always comes out very flat. Although it tastes great....looks aren't it's biggest appeal.

Found on Cutting Edge of Ordinary, I am dovetailing on Lisa's revelation of a 'secret technique' for banana bread and my rebellious change of her recipe. She used dates....I used apples. Ehhh. Dates, Shmates. Apple, Smapples. It's fruit. lol Regardless of the extra fruit....make this recipe for the SECRET TECHNIQUE....it's works!

Lisa said she found in an old Yankee Magazine back from the turn of the century. Lucky, Yankee Magazine has all their old recipe online now. Lisa gets props for bringing this to my attention. This is the original recipe from Yankee.

Banana Bread

3 large bananas
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla (sorry, I had add this - I make my own vanilla, I like to use it, so kill me)
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon soda
1/4 cups nuts if desired (also chopped dates- I used chopped dried apples)

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Crush bananas and whip until very light. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, then flour, soda, and nuts. Add bananas last. Turn into well-greased bread pan. Bake slowly about 1 hour.

Banana Bread2

SECRET TECHNIQUE: The bananas end up liquefied, which may be why this bread does indeed have a very delicate texture.

My REBELLION: I had only 2 bananas in my freezer....dangit...I wanted banana bread now. OH well, time to be creative then....moist fruit.....I took a handful of dried apple rings....soaked them 1/4 cup spiced rum. Pureed them in the mini chopper (with the rum) and added them to the bananas and whipped some more.

Cook's Notes:
1. Toast your nuts- always! Flavors are best this way.
2. Sprinkle top of loaf with sugar....makes it "sparkly" and a nice crunchy sweetness on top when bitten.

Be a Rebel- Go Bananas!

2 comments:

Meg Luby said...

yay for banana bread! i love it, ha. i don't see the problem. if you have a problem, i have the same issue, ha
thanks for sharing! love your blog
-meg
@ http://www.clutzycooking.blogspot.com
@ http://www.myscribblednotebook.blogspot.com

Shecia said...

love banana bread but it never quite has that something. Can't wait to try yours!