Sunday, May 20, 2012

Paleo Bread- Basic White

One thing I inherited from my Grandmom is the love of bread.  I sure does ruin me at restaurants for it comes first and fills me up too fast before I SHOULD be eating my protein and veggies.  Why can't they serve me the hot and crusty bread after dinner? OR, how about during????  Anyhow....the traditional, crusty, chewy yeast breads are for big splurges for me these days BUT a basic gluten free bread to have with dinner or smeared with almond butter at breakfast will fill the bill!!!
I have waited for a bit to post this recipe for I have been trying many recipes and playing around with different combos that work well for me.... The beauty of this gluten free baby is that there aren't those other GF substitutes that won't work in the Paleo lifestyle like rice flour, potato starch, etc.  Give this a try!

Basic Gluten Free Paleo Bread
adapted by JennyMacLipsmack

3 cups almond flour (not meal, this is a pale yellow bread not brown)
1 tsp. baking soda
4 eggs
2 egg whites
1 Tbsp. honey, agave or maple syrup (whichever you prefer)
1 tsp. vinegar
sesame seeds (optional for taste and look)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Put almond flour in a large bowl and whisk out the lumps and add the baking soda.

In a small bowl, beat the egg and whites together.  Add honey and vinegar.

Mix the liquid in the dry.  Spray loaf pan with organic olive oil non-stick spray and LINE PARCHMENT PAPER in the loaf pan.  I cannot STRESS how important this is or your loaf will be IMPOSSIBLE to remove.  A slicone loaf pan will not require parchment, this is what I do for I was tired of forgetting about the parchment and the loaf sticking....grrrr.

Sprinkle with sesame seeds...(I love the toasty taste of them when I toast the bread!)

Bake @ 300 for 45 minutes

Remove from pan and cool completely.  Slice thinly and put in a bag and store in the fridge for convenient use later!

VARIATION:

Raisin Walnut Paleo Bread
by JennyMac's Lipsmack

3 cups almond flour or meal
1/2 cup flaxseed meal
1 tsp. baking soda
2 Tbsp. cinnamon
5 eggs
2 Tbsp honey, agave or maple syrup
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1 cup raisins
1 cup walnuts

Follow the directions for the heat and time from the recipe above....


Great dessert, breakfast or french toast bread!

Enjoy!
  

3 comments:

RetiredWithNoRegrets said...

That looks very good and easy to make! I have been experimenting with almond flour, simply for low-carb.
I printed it and plan on making it soon.

Burkey said...

Im looking forward to trying this out, just a couple quick questions. What type of vinigar is used, apple cider? and what size eggs? Thanks x

Tracey G said...

This looks seriously yummy, especially with all those sesame seeds on it!
I follow a paleo diet and, alas, my eldest child has anaphylactic allergies to all nuts, including almonds (and so, I presume, almond flour). I use coconut flour and it is PERSNIKETY. Also, everything tastes like coconut lately. So two questions really:
1. How would you adjust for coconut flour and
2. Any other ideas?